Tuesday, February 14, 2017

John Rifle - Fracas Nurture

Label : Rabbit Surgeon Musics
Year : 2002
Country : US
Format : CD

Here's another thing I never got around to posting. I got this back in 2013 after reading a so-so review of it in the backissues of the monumental Blastitude webzine. It piqued my interest due to it being plunderphonics and also its strange packaging.

In essence, this goes the Negativland route by criticizing and portraying social issues via samples and such. Here it tackles such issues as violence and media, bringing up the then recent Columbine massacre. That's all fine and dandy, but I don't personally care for this release at all. Heavy handed messages and cheesy keyboards drag this one down, and for the most part a lack of humor, an essential element in my enjoyment of the genre.


Of course, you can (and probably should) take my criticisms for naught, as it's been awhile since I cracked this can open. Aside from listening to a few samples here and there, I don't feel that motivated to, either. Maybe I'm just not giving this its due. You decide, captain.




No comments:

Post a Comment